Posts Tagged ‘1099 misc software’

What do I do with the 1099-MISC if the contractor I hired has moved?

June 6th, 2013 No comments

I hear this question often.  You hired and paid someone $600 or more within a calendar year to do some type of work.  When tax season arrives, you realize that the contractor you hired has moved.  Now what?

You, as the payer, have to do something.  Here are a few things you can do:

  1. Call the contractor and try to get their new mailing address. You don’t have to mail Form 1099-MISC to the recipient.  You can print it out and hand it to them.  Or fax it or email it.  You just want to make sure they get the form and its data.
  2. If you have his or her last known address, then contact the postmaster or local county clerk to see if they have the new address for this contractor.
  3. Send the information return to the last known address that you do have.  If the letter bounces back to you, then you have made an effort.  You can still report the 1099 information to the IRS and the IRS will be able to track the TIN and the amount reported.

Doing nothing is not a good option.  You want to paper or electronically file the data with the IRS.  And make an effort to get Copy B of Form 1099-MISC to the contractor; take notes on the steps that you took and save them.

1099 software at the site has software for paper and electronic filing of all 1097, 1098, 1099, 3921, 3922, 5498, 8027, 8955-SSA, W-2G, and 1042-S IRS tax forms. Import, print and eFile information returns the quick and easy way!

1099FIRE is the only company to offer OneTouch E-Filing. Just click a button and the software will automatically log in and upload your file to the IRS FIRE system.  You will receive verification within seconds of receipt of your file.

Filing Information Returns electronically is very cost-effective, is easier than filing on paper, and is more accurate. Filing status is available within 2 business days for Forms 1098, 1099 and W2-G and electronic filers receive a later due date for most returns.

When you file electronically, you are exempt from using pre-printed forms.  You can just print the return in regular paper or email a PDF file to all recipients.

VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)
VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Rating: 0 (from 0 votes)